Hey hey! 👋
There's four weeks to go until iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey land on our devices, and I've been working hard preparing Focused Work for the launch.
I was really excited to share some news today about how I've added support for SharePlay in Focused Work, but in great fashion, Apple announced they were postponing its arrival until a later stage and were disabling it in future betas of iOS and macOS. Fun! 😞
But I decided to push ahead and create a thread on Twitter highlighting SharePlay in practice.
Update on @FocusedWorkApp, my focus timer app that adds SharePlay support so friends can focus together while on FaceTime calls! Here's a short two-part demo. 😁 Join the TestFlight at testflight.apple.com/join/9Xe7zJMO! pic.twitter.com/tNxBXTgOaR
August 18th 2021
Here's a short demo of me running through how you can create a focus group with friends.
Although this feature won't be available next month, I'm still really excited to share the improvements i've made to the Shortcuts Automation feature (formerly Shortcut Triggers), and how they work in tandem with Focus on iOS 15, and the Shortcuts app on macOS Monterey.
I decided it was a great time to re-open the TestFlight beta, and have shared a public link so folks can check out all the new features and iOS 15 improvements. If you've previously used a TestFlight version of Focused Work you would've received an alert earlier today to install it, but if not, tap this link on your iPhone and iPad: https://testflight.apple.com/join/9Xe7zJMO.
Here's a brief list of new highlights for Focused Work 1.9;
- SharePlay: Start a shared focus session with friends in iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey
- Shortcuts for Mac: Trigger shortcuts mid-focus session in macOS Monterey
- Extra Large Widgets: Add the new focus session widget to your homescreen in iPadOS 15, highlighting the current timer, focus, and remaining stages
- Low Power Mode: Focused Work’s background activity will automatically reduce when Low Power Mode is active on iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey
- Copy From Session: Copy another session’s Toggl or Shortcut Automation configuration, and apply it to the current session
- Session Templates: Create new focus sessions based on pre-defined session templates
- Non-Focused Work sessions: Create focus sessions only containing Break and/or Planning stages
- Session Focus: Select from your 10 recent session focus entries when starting a new session, via the new Recent Entries screen
You can view the full list of improvements in the app under the What's New screen, via Settings.
Thanks again for staying in the loop with Focused Work, and I hope these new features help encourage you to be more productive! ❤️